Thursday, March 15, 2012

Getting Serious

Has anyone here thought about, or already completed, getting an MFA in creative writing? I think most deadlines for application are in January, so I'd have a year to think about this. But it's really weighing heavily on my mind. I do not think a person needs to have one to be a good writer, but it does help narrow the focus so that a writer can have time to read the best work, and to aspire to produce the best work. 15 credit hours would be set aside just for writing a thesis, which I believe would be a completed novel, or collection of short stories (both of which I've already done, ironically enough). Why, you ask then, would I care when I already have a book coming out? Good question. And I'm not getting any younger. Why am I considering this? I don't know. I guess just want to be the best writer I can be.

The other thing I'm considering, and it's almost as serious as an MFA, is this A to Z challenge. Probably gonna do it, but geez that thing is a tough gig. I did meet some really great people last year so it's totally worth it. And if I slip, then OH WELL. You guys can all do a shot when I miss a letter!  Happy April, *hiccup.*

7 comments:

  1. I was on the fence for quite a while myself about the A to Z....oh well, I fell off the fence on the "yes" side. Hope it's not going to be a hard landing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with it. At least we'll have each other to complain to when it gets tough!

      Delete
  2. I've thought about an MFA, but only for my own satisfaction. You're right. I don't think anyone needs one. But it would do all the things you spell out, as well as add a sense of accomplishment.

    But honestly, who among us in the real world has the time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The time thing (and being a parent) is what will determine this whole quest.

      Delete
  3. Amy - go for it - you answered your own question when you said you wanted to be the best writer you can be. Make the time. You can't get any better than that.
    PS - I loved your comment on Tom's site about Google Street View, Merris and Henry. Makes me laugh every time I think about it. I hate Google Street View as much as you do, but there's a brilliant story in there just waiting to get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something to think about, for sure!

      Glad I made you laugh. Wouldn't it be funny to catch the Google guy as he drove down the street?

      Delete
  4. You did great last year and I enjoyed reading all your posts.

    ReplyDelete

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...