Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Shoo Fly!


photo credit: The eyes have it . via photopin (license)

The other week the kids and I were hanging out in the backyard when all of a sudden this nasty little insect came and sat near Julia. I thought it was a wasp. And what do you do with a wasp? You scare it off, of course! Without letting it know what's what I squirted it with a water gun, which turned out to be a really bad idea. That thing went psycho and attacked Julia full-force, who screamed her head off. Then it went after me, and still thinking it was a wasp, I let it sit on my finger while not moving. That's when the little sucker bit me. Oh, heck no! I swatted it away, because I'm not getting bit by anything, and then the flying Hitler went even more psycho and dive-bombed all three of us. I wish there had been a camera on the backyard, and perhaps Google does have one, you never know, but we three screamed and bee-lined to the house. Well, before Julia made it to the backdoor I saw the little winged a-hole was on her head, and she was about to go in! Oh, double heck no! I screamed that it was on her head and not to go inside, and of course she screamed too. We all screamed. Then it flew away.

Shew.

Turns out it was a horsefly. Yick. And I let it bite me. They draw blood and will suck the soul out of anything they can get their disgusting teeth on. They will also follow an opponent for miles without giving up.

But they do have cool eyes.

Ever had your own experience with this jerk? Do tell.

6 comments:

  1. Horseflies are the flies in my ointment. They are the fu****s in Paradise. one bite and you itch for a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not liking them one bit, and I agree with your assessment.

      Delete
  2. No, and I don't think I want to. Hope the bite doesn't get infected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! No, it didn't get infected thank goodness. What a nasty creature those things are.

      Delete
  3. We have a lot this year. I must 'dispose of' dozens each day. The idiots can find their way INTO the house, but can never find their way OUT again. They pay the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got ya. They wouldn't survive too long in this house either.

      Delete

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...